Friday, March 4, 2011

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

Well parents, you probably already know that today we celebrated Dr. Seuss' Birthday! All week we read Dr. Seuss books to prepare ourselves for his birthday party! We learned that Dr. Seuss' real name is Theodore Geisel and his actual birthday is on March 2nd. He turned 107 today — just 105 years older than Cindy Lou Who!!
I truly adore Dr. Seuss. His creative imagination, his play on repetitive and rhyming words, and his ability to make everyone want to read more - from the creative Cat in the Hat to Oh the Thinks You Can Think! My personal favorite is "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" simply because it was one of the first books I "mastered." I can still recite most of that book with my eyes shut!
But today we want to know, which one is YOUR favorite. In math we are learning about bar graphs and we are going to graph our results! Please help us out and reply with the title, and if you wish, explain to us why it is a favorite or a great memory you have from reading Dr. Seuss Books! Don't be shy now. Start commenting!
We are wishing Dr. Seuss a happy 107th birthday, and I hope that his stories continue to encourage every young student to read and enjoy reading!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox





11 comments:

  1. Mine is Oh the Things You Can Think! It helps me to get my creative juices flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In order to post type your message, click Preview, and then type in your account information! If you don't have a gmail account, email me at arehde1@isd77.k12.mn.us!

    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Horton Hears a Who!
    It reminds everyone that your voice is always heard and you should always pay attention to the little things in life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
    It is a classic! No matter how many times we read it, it's always fun to recite and enjoyable to read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street!! It's so cute and creative, I love love love rhyming books - so Dr. Seuss has a very special place in my heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the places you'll go!
    Reminds me that you can accomplish anything if you set your mind to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Green Eggs and Ham is one of my favorites because it reminds us that we'll never know if we like something until we try it. Angie- Evan's mom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have two votes for Fox in Socks. Max & Mom like to try to see who can say the rhymes the fastest! Stella's vote is for Green Eggs and Ham because she thinks it would be fun to eat in all of those crazy places. Oliver's vote is for One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ganna's vote is for Horton Hears a Who!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My vote is Green Eggs and Ham!

    It's a classic! Just so sweet & a lovely moral for little ones that it's ok to be brave and take chances! I love Dr. Seuss!

    ReplyDelete